Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance


I was really pleased to see so many tributes to Veterans today on Facebook. I created the above image by taking one of my photos from the Iwo Jima memorial and doing some post-production on it. Then I added the text over top. It's what I posted today.

I think more often than not, we forgot about all sacrifices our members of the military make -- as well as their families. As more and more vets from WWII get older, I think it's vitally important to recognize them and thank them for their service.

In September I was teleworking. Since the weather was gorgeous, I was sitting outside working on my laptop in front of the library, when I noticed a very elderly gentlemen sitting at a nearby table. I felt compelled to say hello -- he had on a Seabees hat, so I assumed he was a vet -- but had no idea what I would say. I just kept typing along and coming up with possible introductions, without actually saying anything at all. 

After a while, his wife walked out of the grocery store with a couple of bags of groceries. He slowly got up, held her arm, and using his cane they walked toward me. I made a passing comment about enjoying the weather . . . and it led to me hearing a hilarious "how we met" story, how they've been married for 65 years (!), their move from the northeast to Oklahoma, and her love of the ocean. It was certainly the highlight of my day -- and I'm so glad the opportunity arose to talk to the couple for a while. I think, though, that we all need to make those opportunities arise on our own. I hope next time, I go up and make sure that happens. 

Thank you to all who have served and are currently serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment